INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE CARTAGENA DE INDIAS TOURISM BOARD FOR TOURISM SERVICE PROVIDERS IN CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA: SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION RELATING TO THE PROTECTION OF CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS
It is very important for you to take the time to look into your obligations as a Tourism Service Provider in Colombia, as this page may not include all the information available because it is not updated in real-time. This page cannot and should not be considered as legal advice. We suggest reviewing sources and making sure that the information provided has not recently changed.
1. I'M THE WALL!
Cartagena de Indias City Council runs a project called "La Muralla Soy Yo” (I'm the Wall) to protect children and adolescents, helping them build safe environments to prevent and confront the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children and Adolescents (ESCNNA) and trafficking crimes in the context of travel and tourism.
2. WHAT IS ESCENA?
The Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children and Adolescents (ESCNNA, in its Spanish version) is an acronym that refers to the violation of the fundamental rights of children under 18 years of age (known as victims) by a third party (known as the abuser), involving them in sexual, erotic and/or pornographic activities in order to satisfy the latter’s interests or wishes in exchange for a payment or promised payment, which can be in cash, in kind, or in any other type of remuneration for the victim and/or the abuser.
3. WHAT IS ESCNNA IN THE CONTEXT OF TOURISM?
It is the sexual exploitation and/or use of children and/or adolescents by people traveling from one country to another, or between cities in the same country.
Abusers use certain facilities (bars, nightclubs, apartments, houses, etc.) to sexually exploit children and/or adolescents, in exchange for some form of remuneration (in cash or kind, such as clothing, food, or other care).
4. WHAT SHOULD TOURIST SERVICE PROVIDERS KNOW?
Colombian laws prohibit and criminalize sexual exploitation, sex tourism, and other forms of sexual abuse of children and adolescents.
It is important for each Tourism Service Provider to be aware of these obligations and violations.
Colombian laws prohibit the provision of tourism services to minors who are not accompanied or authorized by at least one of their parents or legal guardians.
Guests should be told about this requirement to avoid inconveniences upon arrival. Remember that minors are all children under 18 years of age. If you hear about a possible offense or a risk of violation of the rights of children or adolescents, you must immediately inform the authorities.
Assets, income and profits generated by real estate where the commercial sexual exploitation of minors and human trafficking occurs will be subject to the seizure of assets, in accordance with Law 1336 of 2009, which will be used to finance the Fund against the Sexual Exploitation of Minors.
Likewise, in accordance with Law 679 of 2001, the offenses provided for in this law will lead to fines for the offender of up to 300 statutory monthly minimum wages, temporary suspension from the National Tourism Register, and cancellation of the National Tourism Register, without prejudice to the penalties for the applicable crimes.
5. OBLIGATIONS OF TOURIST ACCOMMODATION PROVIDERS IN CARTAGENA DE INDIAS: The Cartagena de Indias Tourism Board reminds you of the following:
Click here to see the Code of Conduct to promote prevention policies and prevent the sexual exploitation of children and adolescents, contained in Resolution 3840 of 2009 issued by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Tourism.
6. RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE CARTAGENA DE INDIAS TOURISM BOARD FOR TOURIST ACCOMMODATION PROVIDERS IN CARTAGENA DE INDIAS
- Inform your guests and providers of a prevention policy that contains responsible behavior and promotes harmonious living and respect.
- Communicate regularly with your guests during their stay, in terms of their experience and the environment.
- Let your guests know what documents are required to check in and the requirements for registering a child. If you suspect that there is no kinship between the adults and the minors, you should ask for the authorization document of the parents or guardians.
- Block websites that have inappropriate content related to sexual practices with children and adolescents and/or inappropriate content that threatens the integrity of people. (Your local Internet provider can advise you on blocking this content.)
- Review the regulatory framework and crime hotlines (which may be modified, extended or expanded by other rules):
- Sexual exploitation offense: Chapter IV, Article 3 – 217a of the Colombian Penal Code – Imprisonment between 14 and 25 years.
- Forced prostitution: Colombian Penal Code, Article 214 – Imprisonment between 9 and 13 years.
- Induced prostitution: Colombian Penal Code, Article 213 – Imprisonment between 10 and 22 years.
- Encouraged prostitution of minors: Article 217 of the Colombian Penal Code – Imprisonment between 6 and 8 years.
- Pornography with persons under 18 years of age: Article 218 of the Colombian Penal Code – Imprisonment between 10 and 20 years.
- Sex tourism: Article 219 of the Colombian Penal Code – Imprisonment between 4 and 8 years.
- Crime hotlines: If you suspect the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children and Adolescents (ESCNNA) in spaces provided for tourism services, you may contact the crime hotline by dialing any of the following numbers, or any number that will take you to the competent authorities:
- 141 – ICBF line
- 122 – Attorney General's Office
- 018000522020 – Human trafficking hotline
- Naver लॉग इन या साइन अप के लिए निजी जानकारी का विदेश में ट्रांसफ़रकोरिया में Naver लॉग इन या साइन अप के ज़रिए Airbnb का इस्तेमाल करते समय, Naver कुछ खास तरह की निजी जानकारी को आयरलैंड में स्थित Airbnb Irela…
- बोज़मन, मॉन्टेनाअगर आप Airbnb मेज़बान बनने के बारे में सोच रहे हैं, तो यहाँ कुछ जानकारी दी गई है, जो आपके शहर के कानूनों को समझने में आपकी मदद करेगी।
- Airbnb से संबंधित बुनियादी जानकारीन्यू साउथ वेल्स (ऑस्ट्रेलिया) की आचार संहिता और बहिष्करण रजिस्टरउन दायित्वों के बारे में जानें, जिन्हें कुछ समय के लिए किराए पर दी जाने वाली जगह से संबंधित NSW की आचार संहिता के तहत मेज़बानों, मेहमानों, प…